April 28 - Post 127

One of the things that causes me the most distress as a mom to two sons with special needs is looking for shoes or boots to fit over their AFO's.  The mere thought of going out to find shoes imposes so much stress and angst.  That is because it is almost impossible to find shoes that I remotely like that will actually accommodate the AFO.  It is not unheard of for me to spend an entire day going shoe store to shoe store trying to source out a perfect shoe fit for Ciaran and Shay when they get a new pair of AFOs.  The other major stressor in my life is trying to find hats/helmets to fit Ciaran's head - but that is a whole other post in itself - more on that later...

When I am out and about, it is not at all uncommon for me to be approached by someone when I am out scouring the shelves who wants to ask me questions or share their own experience with a son, daughter, niece, nephew, grandchild, etc who wears AFO's.  I often end up unexpectedly sharing a laugh or a few tears with a mere stranger as someone has the desire to share their personal connection with the world of special needs.  This often subsides the stress and angst as I am reminded of all of the amazing kids out there that make our world a better place...

Well today, Cris took a quick road trip to the US to pick up some grub control as well as try to find new shoes for Ciaran's AFO's.  I was thrilled that he came home successful :)  We usually stick to DC's but are planning on giving these Saucony's a chance - they are lighter than the DC's which just might help Ciaran with his internal hip rotation.  Here's to hoping :)






1 comment:

BusyLizzyMom said...

I too cringe at shoe shopping and it breaks my heart to say no to Elzabeth when she asks for a pretty pair of shoes. Seeing little girls in flip flops and sandals makes me so envious and sad.
Have you tried tskohashi (sp.) shoes? They are super light and quite deep. They sell them at kinder soles but I often find them in winners, look for a yellow box.
Hope all is well with you and the baby.