Wise Words from a Wise Man - Roger Ebert

Appearing on The Oprah Winfrey Show today, film critic Roger Ebert gave his Oscar predictions, said he felt “terrific,” and would have “no more surgery”: “I’m not going to talk or eat or drink again, so the surgery would be to patch my face back together… Nobody looks perfect. We have to find peace with the way we look and get on with life.” Ebert has lost his voice from thyroid cancer. He communicates through sign language and computer software that acts as his voice. He types out words and a computerized voice conveys them aloud.

This was an moving entry from his journal that his wife shared. A lesson for all of us!

“I believe that if at the end of it all - according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier and something to make ourselves a little happier – that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world – that is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn’t always know this but I am happy that I have lived long enough to find it out”
- Roger Ebert

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! That is a beautiful entry, one which should remind me everyday of ALL the blessings I have. Lianne

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.