Ciaran and Shay are 2!!!

I have the best intentions...really, I do - I am always so very excited to share the newest milestone that Ciaran and Shay have achieved - I just so struggle with taking the time to just sit down and write about it...

So here I am again - a few months since the last post with so very much to share with the latest things going on in the Parreira/Sneyd household. I have realized that waiting months and months to post is a direct result of feeling very overwhelmed with so much information to report - which leads to my newest resolution which is to post weekly. My intent is to set aside time each Sunday to write a brief overview of Ciaran and Shay's week and serve as a continuing journal of their successes! For today's post, I think my best bet is to work backwards in time, as the most recent is obviously the freshest in my mind.

Where to begin - I guess an easy starting point is Ciaran and Shay's 2nd birthday. On July 5 - Ciaran and Shay turned two. It was a beautiful day that we were able to celebrate with all of our family including our beloved Bev. I personally find Ciaran and Shay's birthdays to be emotional days - as the overwhelming awe of how truly far they have come really sets in. In the past two years, their birth date brings me back to the day that Ciaran and Shay were born - I will never forget the mix of emotions of overwhelming fear of the unknown and true elation that I had for my two beautiful little boys. Over the past two years, Ciaran and Shay have inspired me on a daily basis. They have taught me so much about determination, courage, strength, confidence and most importantly, the meaning of being happy with oneself - a quality that I hope and pray that I can continue to instill in my boys for the rest of their lives.

In one year, both boys have grown beyond what was expected. We will start with sweet, sweet Ciaran. Since Ciaran's eye surgery in March - Ciaran has surprised everyone with his development and his desire to be more independent. My sweet, sweet Ciaran - although still sweet - has become much more vocal, mobile and demanding. I LOVE IT!!! Ciaran is now commando crawling all over the house, is able to pull himself up into a tall kneel which has been key for him to play independently with Shay and is getting closer and closer to walking every day. He loves to sing - included in his favourites are Five Green and Speckled Frogs, If You're Happy and You Know It, Old McDonald, Mortimer, and the Itsy Bitsy Spider. Ciaran is the happiest little boy in the world - he makes this world a better place - and his limitations so far in life do not phase him - he is such an inspiration to me and I feel so blessed that I was chosen to be his Mom!

Then there is Shay....Shay continues to be demanding, determined, stubborn and strong. There are many days that Shay's strong will and determination makes me tired. He is relentless - truly relentless which at the end of the day, I recognize is truly a gift - as this relentlessness and determination will empower Shay in the future - in every sense of the word, Shay is a fighter - and whatever limitations he may have will in no way defer him from him getting exactly what he wants - how lucky are we!!! Shay is now four point crawling which is HUGE!!! He struggles with disassociating his legs - but he is working it out and figuring it out. Four point crawling is another huge indicator of future independent walking - he continues to defy the odds - I always knew he had it in him!!

The week before Ciaran and Shay's birthday - we had an amazing opportunity to take a family road trip to Long Island, NY. Jill Tapper - a childhood friend of mine who has 2 beautiful twin boys herself (five year old Marc and Trevor) graciously offered us her house for a week while she came back home to her roots in Milton. The trip was just what the doctor ordered!! Jill lives in a very small and beautiful community - her home was just that - a home away from home - it was so quiet, peaceful and relaxing. We all enjoyed a break from our reality - the stresses of work, therapy, and appointments. We spent the week swimming in Jill's pool, running by the ocean and visiting a number of small villages/towns around Jill's neighbourhood - including the Hamptons - beautiful, beautiful, beautiful....another reminder for us of how blessed we are to have such amazing friends in our lives!

Speaking of amazing friends - the weekend before we left for Jills - I spent in Honesdale, PA at Summit Camp - the camp for children with special needs that I worked at for 8 years. I went to celebrate the life of my friend and mentor Tim Kedge who passed away after a very brief fight with leukemia. The weekend was extremely emotional for me for so many reasons - one - I had to say goodbye and mourn the loss of a truly inspirational man/friend, two - I was in the company of some of the best friends that I have - who truly understand the magic and meaning of Summit Camp - and three - Ciaran and Shay's needs really hit home this weekend as I was reminded of the children I had the opportunity to counsel, embrace and learn from in my role in the magical world of Summit - words - there are none - just an open and thankful heart for the amazing experiences, lessons and opportunities. For those of you who know me well - I am a firm believer in the idea that 'things happen for a reason' - I am thankful for the reminder - and the reassurance that 'Life is Good'!

A few other noteworthy happenings. Ciaran and Shay started their first week of Camp last week at the Oakville Parent and Child Centre. They absolutely love it there! They go twice a week for 2.5 hours at a time. Not a tear has been shed - they are so ready for the socialization piece which makes me soooo happy for them! After the first day there, I drove home listening to them sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and Old McDonald - they totally sponges - which is soooo exciting!!!

Ciaran and Shay also will be starting hippotherapy this summer which is therapeutic horse back riding. We will be going to Hamilton's Therapeutic Riding Center - they are amazing there! Ciaran and Shay already had the opportunity to watch a lesson and meet and pet the horses - I am so excited for this opportunity as they are allowing the boys to start very young - so thankful! Research shows that hippotherapy and aquatherapy (water) are two of the best treatments for CP. Ciaran loved the horses right from the get go - petting their faces within seconds - soooo Ciaran. Shay - as per - was his cautious self - didn't want to go near the horses initially - however, by the end of our visit was demanding that I bring him back into the stall for more petting - he is so predictable and so cute!!!

Anyhow, need to post pics - I promise this is my last long post! As always, thanks to our families and friends - you are the best and we are forever thankful!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! I still check in often to see how the boys are doing. They look fabulous and happy as ever.
Thank you for sharing their lives with us.
love lianne xo

Anonymous said...

I love reading about updates about Ciaran and Shay! They improve so fast and even sound cute! Can't wait to see them again.
-Riley <3

andrew said...

Hey, I just checked the site. The kids look great. They're really growing fast.

Keep loading those pictures, it's fun to see how everyone is doing.

Andrew