Day 87 - Saturday September 29

Sorry for the delay again. Things continue to be extremely busy as the boys become more and more reliant on Cris and I, rather than the nurses everyday. We are enjoying this stage very much although I must say it is exhausting. Probably, only a taste of what we are in for when we get home!

I started staying overnight in the Parent Room in the hospital as of Monday night. In doing so, I am awoken every few hours for the hourly feeding of Ciaran and Shay. They have made significant improvements in their feeding in the past few days. They are going to the breast for back to back feeds and they are getting more and more volume in every feed. They are starting to cry for feeds that involve nursing rather than tube feeds. This is a sign of maturity. I am dying to get their feeding tubes out of their noses - but this will be the last step of the feeding process. We have introduced bottles which Cris is enjoying as it is an opportunity to spend some quality time with his boys - we will see if he continues to think this when he is getting up in the middle of the night to feed Ciaran and Shay!

Our next step is going to feed by demand. This transition will probably take place later in the week. Again, in this case, we are moving towards the reality that will exist when we get home. We are getting close! The boys are 39 weeks tomorrow! I can not believe how fast time has gone by. I am predicting that we have around three weeks to go at the hospital although only the boys can determine this. Shay is still struggling a bit with reflux which results in breathing spells (although the spells are becoming fewer and farther between)- I must admit that it is scary for us to be seeing this behaviour so close to the time that they are going home - however, I have been assured that this too is something that they will grow out of and for everything else that they have told me that this is the case for - the outcome is as predicted. I have learned that I have to be patient and respect the process. At times, this is extremely difficult as all I want is to bring my babies home and start our new life together - in saying that though, I have realized that I have to wait until they are good and ready and at this point in time, we are not quite there yet - even though we are getting close!

We had a small family shower today at my mom's house. We had our family and my mom's close friends at the house. It was an amazing day! The past three months have really reinforced for me how truly valuable family is. Over the course of the last three months, we have received unending support from our family - from this, Cris and I have gathered so much strength, faith and love. We are so appreciative of this support - so much so, that is often very difficult to express our thoughts and feelings. Do know - that your time, visits, phone calls have meant the world to Cris and I.

That is all to report today. Tomorrow is weigh in day, bath day and Cris has promised a photo shoot. Promise that pictures will be posted tomorrow.

Good night all! Sweet dreams!
cris, liza, ciaran and shay

ps joanne f. - i am thrilled to hear that you received good news this week. you were in my thoughts and prayers all week!

No comments: