Day 45 - August 18 - An Unbelievable Day!

Words truly cannot describe the emotions experienced today when Shay and Ciaran finally had the opportunity to be reacquainted with each other. Cris and I arrived at the hospital at 11:30 this morning so that we could help Bev take the boys temperature and change their diapers...we then had a few visitors come up to take a peek at the boys (Cris' parents, my parents and Neil and Geraldine). None of them could believe how much both boys had changed in only a week. During the visits, Ciaran and Shay were both cycling on low flow which gave everyone a really good opportunity to see what they really look like.

At 2:00, Cris and I were given the opportunity to each hold one of the babies at the same time. We first took Ciaran out and he was held by his Daddy today. It was the first time that Cris had the opportunity to hold Ciaran...he loved every minute of it and so did Ciaran! When Cris was holding Ciaran, I got to hold Shay. I haven't held him for a few days since concerns arose about a potential infection (it was determined that he did not have an infection this morning - so IV is out and all is good!). We held the boys for around 1 1/2 hours. It was amazing to have both of them out at the same time.

At 3:30, Ciaran was moved onto me and for the very first time since they were born Ciaran and Shay were together again! This was definitely a magical moment...one that we will not soon forget and it was all possible because of Bev, our kind and caring nurse. She is so willing to do whatever it takes to make our hopes come to fruition. Ciaran was a bit more awake during the experience and looked intently at Shay. It seemed as if he was waiting for this reunion, in a weird sort of way. Towards the end of the cuddle, he actually reached his hand out to Shay and held his hand...it was too cute...a moment that we will hold in our hearts forever! It appeared that the 'older' brother was taking care of his 'younger' brother. Truly amazing!

Overall, the day was about as great as a day could be. A day that will never be forgotten. It really made me realize that I will be taking not one but two babies home in the future...I so can't wait!!!

Pics will be posted shortly...

Cris, Liza, Ciaran and Shay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't wait to see the babies together. It must have been such a moment in time. Our family is enjoying being a part of your journey. Love Lianne xo (and boys)

The Trousdell Five said...

I am starting at the beginning of your blog - this is going to take me a while, but wow can I relate. Anyway, I'm sure you will remember day 45 forever as one of the best days of your life! For me, our "reunited" day was day 59. There are no words to describe how wonderful that was!