Day 40 - Can you believe it?

Today was an amazing day! I had the opportunity to hold both of my beautiful boys this afternoon for two hours each. I honestly do not think that I can adequately describe how it feels to hold them...I am sure that each of you who are moms know...but before I had the opportunity, I never would have realized what a special gift holding my children would be. I am so very blessed...

I held Ciaran first today. He was wide awake and as alert as can be. He completely makes me melt when he crosses his eyes as he looks up at the ventilating tube that is placed in his nose. He is too cute! Believe it or not, Ciaran joined the 2 kg club today - which is approximately 4 lbs 8 oz. He graduated to newborn diapers yesterday...he is becoming such a big boy! They tried Ciaran on low flow yesterday - he lasted a half hour - I think that we have a week or two before he will be able to handle a cycle of 2 hours. He is going to get ventilator treatments three times a day as of today which is a steroid that helps stregthen the lungs. Shay has been getting this treatment and it appears to have worked...so hopefully, it will work for Ciaran too! Ultrasound day tomorrow - hopefully we will see continued improvements...and we will be updated on the plan of action for him.

Shay had a great day today. He is weighing in at 3 lbs 8 oz. He is totally becoming a ladies man. He had the night nurse holding his hand while on low flow the last two nights in a row. Everytime she would pull her finger away - he would start crying. Yesterday, when Bev put him on low flow during the day, he started crying his eyes out - apparently expecting to get the same treatment again. I told Miriam the night nurse that she better not spoil him too much as he won't be getting bedside care when he comes home unless she comes home with me! He has totally found his voice - you can hear him crying in his isolette now from across the room - I love it! He too was very alert today while out for his visit...

Finally, it was Cris' birthday today. The boys made Cris a beautiful card with thier footprints on it...Cris said it was the best present he has ever gotten...and I could tell by his eyes that he really meant it. This experience has reminded both of us of the essence of simple pleasures...I hope that I never ever forget this valuable life lesson!

That is all to report today! Looking forward to sharing many more positives in the upcoming weeks!

6 comments:

Heather Brown said...

Great news about the boys progress...can't wait to share more "positives" with you and Cris. Happy Belated Birthday Cris!

Heather

cassandra said...

The sound of that cry must be heavenly! Can't wait to hear it.

xo Cassandra
PS happy birthday daddy

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Chris...

thinking about the 4 of you!

helen

patpaula said...

Great newes Liza and Cris.I love reading about your boys.Take care. Love Pat Paula Jamie Keith Mark.xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Great news about the boys progress. I've been away for two weeks. I got an update at a rest stop in New Brunswick and checked a little on them in Nova Scotia but lost touch while in Cape Breton and P.E.I. So here I am on our first night back reading all that I have missed. It is so wonderful to see the progress they have made. They look fantastic and it is nice to hear about how much you are getting to hold them. I never wanted to put Joshua down when he was a baby - so I understand how special it is for you to hold them!
Take care,
Nancy, Mark and Joshua Daniels

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you guys!!! You're right...there's no greater gift then holding your babies!! Keep positive! It's great to read about your beautiful angels and their progress!
Happy Birthday Cris!
Love Cindy B