Day 17 - July 21, 2007

Another very, very special day...today I got to hold my little miracle Ciaran for the first time. This moment was possible because of the amazing nurse assigned to Ciaran the last few days (Bev) and the respiratory therapist named Maureen. They both knew how important it was for me to hold the babies and made sure that it happened. Ciaran is on a much larger and more complicated ventilator than Shay and hence being able to take babies out on such ventilators is difficult...I am so thankful for their efforts and empathy...I am sure that I have already mentioned this already, but the staff at the NICU is second to none...they are skilled, knowledgeable, kind, caring, empathetic and dedicated...each day we count ourselves lucky for being here.

Both babies remain stable. Ciaran did really well when I held him. He was quite calm and slept most of the time. I got to hold him for an hour...another hour that I will never forget. I will admit that I was a bit nervous holding Ciaran...I am sure over time and as he becomes more and more stable...I will feel more comfortable.

We took our first evening off from the hospital tonight to celebrate my parents' fortieth anniversary. We went to Church at Holy Rosary in Milton where my Mom and Dad were recognized for 40 years of marriage. We then went back to my parents house and had dinner with our immediate family..it was not the night we had originally expected, however, it was a great night recognizing a very special bond that all of the Sneyd children hope to emulate in their own relationships in our future...

It is late...I am absolutely exhausted...
night!

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Hi Liza and Cris,
The boys are beautiful!...and this is just wonderful the way you are keeping us up to date on their progress. Two more miracles in the world....give each other a BIG BIG hug for me, all of your friends in Milton are praying for all of you.
Take care
Love Laurie

Anonymous said...

LIsa so happy you got to hold one of your little boys,he was so calm and peaceful is because he knew he was in mommy's arms and how much you love him!Now please God you will get to do more bonding with both boys,they are so beautifuland are so blessed to have such wonderful parents!!!!!
All our Love
Uncle Liam and Aunt Bridie

cassandra said...

What amazing news! I am so glad that you were able to hold Ciaran. The nurses are definitley their guardian angels.

xo Cassandra

Anonymous said...

Hi Liza and Cris,
I just wanted to congratulate you on your beautiful little boys and to let you know that I think of you often and am keeping Ciaran and Shay in my prayers.
Kim Stevens (Jodi's sister)

ninette said...

Hi Liza and Cris:

Thanks for all the updates. I finally opened the blog. The first time I tried, I got a message saying it wasn't functioning. Maybe I was just too quick to go there.

I don't want to take too much of your time, but want you to know you remain in my thoughts and prayers and I'm happy to read about the boys' progress. They are so beautiful, as are the two of you,beautiful in both body and soul! The boys are truly blessed to have you as their parents!

Sending you lots of love and many hugs,
Ninette (and Mayer, too!)

ninette said...

Hi again!

I just read your latest post and I'm so happy for you. Liza...holding your beautiful baby for an hour! What wonderful news!!

Congratulations to your parents! Mayer and I recently celebrated our 47th Anniversary. Where do all those years go?! They seem to just fly by!

I wish you and Cris many,many years...many anniversaries...celebrated with your children,your grandchildren, and all the rest of your lovely family.

With many hugs and kisses,
Ninette

Carla said...

Hi Liza, you have two beautiful and handsome boys. Alessandra was so excited to see their pictures and already has started to draw pictures for them. We're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and keep smilling!!

Carla

Phyl said...

Hi Liza Cris
We are so glad you got to hold Ciaran They are special memories.
They are beautiful boys.They have wonderful parents I am so glad i got to go to your wedding and met Cris.Please stay strong God is good.We are praying for the boys and all the family
Take care
Phyl Fran xxx